The Best of British Steam Compilation 2012
Finally, 2012 draws to a close and now it's time to recollect on the best
moments of the British Railway Steam scene, including tours, private
charters, overnight land cruises, empty stock workings and light engine
movements from all corners of the UK:
1. 17/11: Stanier built Princess Royal Class, 6201 'Princess Elizabeth' is
seen running the steam leg of the 'Cumbrian Mountaineer' from Tyseley to
Carlisle through Oxenholme.
2. 15/09: BR Standard Class 7 flagship number 70000 'Britannia' and LNER A4
Pacific 4464 'Bittern' are seen blasting southbound through Teignmouth with
the 'Mayflower' tour from London Euston to Plymouth.
3. 07/10: LMS Princess Coronation Class 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' is
seen screaming through the night with the southbound leg of the 'Caledonian
Railtour' from Stirling to Wolverhampton.
4. 04/02: On the second run of the 'Cumbrian Mountain Express', LMS Stanier
Class 5 45305 is seen departing Preston for Carlisle running via Blackburn
and the Settle and Carlisle route
5. On the way back from Plymouth, 70000 'Britannia' and 4464 'Bittern' are
seen racing north through Teignmouth with the returning 'Mayflower' tour to
6. 12/08: BR Standard Class 7 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' is seen gliding
through Totnes with the southbound 'Royal Duchy' from Bristol Temple Meads
7. 19/08: On her first run on the 'Torbay Express' for 2012, 4464 'Bittern'
is seen racing through Teignmouth with the southbound leg to Kingswear
8. 05/08: unique BR Standard Class 8 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' is seen
blasting south through Teignmouth on the 'Torbay Express' from Bristol
Temple Meads to Kingswear
9. 02/09: 4464 'Bittern' is once again seen on the 'Torbay Express', this
time speeding south through Dawlish Warren
10. 17/11: Returning from Carlisle on the 'Cumbrian Mountaineer', 6201
'Princess Elizabeth' is seen powering down the Settle and Carlisle at
Armathwaite bound for Tyseley
11. 21/04: LMS Royal Scot Class 46115 'Scots Guardsman' is seen reversing
out of Carnforth steam town before steaming northbound up the WCML towards
Carlisle in preparation to haul its part of the Great Britain tour
12. 29/07: 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' is seen gliding through Teignmouth bound
13. 27/04: former Southern Railway built Bullied Light Pacific 34067
'Tangmere' of the Battle of Britain fleet is seen trundling through Preston
with a light engine working from Carnforth to Bristol Barton Hill
14. 10/03: Running the 'Shap, Settle and Carlisle' tour from Wolverhampton
to Carlisle, GWR Castle Class 5043 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' and 6201
'Princess Elizabeth' are seen accelerating away from the yards at Carnforth
15. 27/04: 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' is seen climbing away from Preston
through Leyland with the 'Great Britain' tour from Preston to Bristol
16. 15/07: 70000 'Britannia' is seen with its safety valves blowing off
loudly as it rumbles slowly along the Sea Wall at Teignmouth with the
17. 18/03: LMS Stanier 8F 48151 is seen departing Preston in classic form
with the 'Roses Express' from Preston to York
18. 15/12: After arriving from Bristol Temple Meads with the 'Christmas
Devonian', 34067 'Tangmere' is seen departing for Exeter Riverside with the
empty stock for that tour
19. 19/08: On its first run on the 'Torbay Express', 4464 'Bittern' is seen
climbing out of Torre with the return working to Bristol Temple Meads
20. 09/03: After a quick water stop, 5043 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' and 6201
'Princess Elizabeth' are seen departing from Preston with a light engine
working to Carnforth
21. 22/07: 70000 'Britannia' bursts out of Parson's Tunnel near Teignmouth
with the 'Torbay Express' bound for Kingswear
22. 05/08: 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' is seen racing out from under Shaldon
Bridge at Teignmouth with the return leg of the 'Torbay Express'
23. 26/04: Arriving with the 'Great Britain' tour, 46233 'Duchess of
Sutherland' is seen arriving at Preston from Glasgow Central
24. 15/04: GWR Manor Class 7827 'Lydham Manor' is seen climbing from
Goodrington Sands bound for Kingswear
25. 05/08: 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' passes Teignmouth with the 'Royal Duchy'
bound for Par
26. 01/12: 60009 'Union of South Africa' runs the 'Christmas White Rose'
north past Ryther bound for York
27. 5043 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' is seen rumbling through Bamber Bridge
with the returning 'Shap, Settle and Carlisle' tour bound for Wolverhampton
28. 70000 'Britannia' blasts north through Teignmouth with the 'Torbay
Express' for Bristol
29. 28/07: 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' and 60163 'Tornado' are seen running
through Teignmouth with the 'Tamar Devonian'
30. 27/04: 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' is seen passing Leyland light
engine bound for Crewe
31. 22/07: 70000 'Britannia' once again blasts past Teignmouth with the
'Torbay Express' to Bristol
32. 02/09: 4464 'Bittern' races through Teignmouth for Bristol with the
Enjoy (I certainly did!) :D
60009 on the move
A4 Union of South Africa runs alongside the M5 in Devon, faster than any steam train since 1965 not
much short of the magic figure.This was a return journey of a steam
railtour in Jan./Feb 1995 what a mind blowing experience WOW !!!
Flying Mallard and a Tornado
A load of clips from Mallard and Tornado's journey from the National
Railway Museum in York to it's sister museum, Locomotion, in Shildon,
The entire route was packed with people jostling for position and waving at
the most famous locomotive in the world: the 72-year old world speed record
By the time Mallard had reached Shildon, the England v Slovenia world cup
game had finished 1-0 and England had qualified for the next stage of the
world cup. Everybody seemed to converge on Shildon to celebrate the sights
and sounds of what our nation can achieve and many lingered on enjoying a
beautiful, hot, sunny day.
Locations: Dalton (south of Thirsk), Danby Wiske (between Northallerton and
Darlington), Heighington (between Darlington and Bishop Auckland), and
Shildon, at the National Railway Museum's sister site, 'Locomotion'.
60007 Breathtaking Footplate Run into Kings Cross - More
Sir Nigel Gresley From the Footplate dashes up to 75mph on the Cathedral's
Express into King's Cross. Racing South from Retford. On DVD from BNT
Productions at www.qleap.co.uk, look for Sir Nigel Gresley over the
A4 PACIFIC - TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT
THIS IS WHAT HAPPEN`S IF YOU GET TO CLOSE TO A A4 PACIFIC WHEN IT IS
OPENING IT`S VALVE`S.
IT FELT GREAT .. BUT I DID`NT CAPTURE MUCH !!!
Sir Nigel Gresley over the Settle-Carlisle from the Footplate - excerpt
An excerpt from the DVD Sir Nigel Gresley over the Settle Carlisle from BNT
Productions available at www.qleap.co.uk. An exhilarating rail journey over
one of Britain's toughest rail routes. Powering past Settle Junction at the
start of the long drag, Driver/Inspector Ron Smith and Fireman Pete Hanson
give an insight into the footplate task in getting a spectacular
performance out of the classic Pacific locomotive on it's route over the
60007 breathtaking footplate run into Kings Cross
On the footplate of LNER A4 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in a 75mph dash through
the twilight into London Kings Cross with the Cathedrals Express on 31 May
2008. In the hands of Driver Ron Smith, Fireman Pete Hanson and the
footplate crew from West Coast Railway Co and the A4 Locomotive Society,
Gresley is eased out of Gasworks Tunnel into Kings Cross four and a half
Union Pacific 3985 Catches FIRE on 1999 excursion
All Aboard now as we witness a UP#3985 excursion grind to a halt with a
Fire on the Historic Locomotive and the quick thinking Steam Crew Puts it
out before the Volunteer Fire Dept gets there! then ride along side as she
trys to make up lost time on a highball run into old Cheyenne WY check out
this old excursion brochure i found recently at
And Try to to see this IMAX film http://www.rockymountainexpressfilm.com/
The Best train movie I have seen
Epic Struggle: Coal train starts off on Ardglen Bank. Wed 03/11/10
8251-8220-8255 come to a stand at Ardglen on an up loaded coal with
8133-8012-8111 on the rear pushing. Shortly after 8232-8208-8227 roll down
the grade on an empty coal. The loaded train then slowly gets he 72 loaded
wagons moving again on the 1 in 40 ( 2.5%) grade with much wheel slip and
Super Series Squeals. The bank engines can be seen detaching "on the fly"
at around the 09 45 mark. They will return light engine back to Werris
Creek to await their next banking job. Once a train to be banked has
passed Werris Creek it will proceed to Willow Tree and await the bank
engines which will follow them down from Werris Creek. Wed 03/11/10.
Trains in a Hurry
High speed trains in a hurry to their destination, I know some of the
engines in the pictures aren't moving but they are designed for high speed
37419 COLD START
37419 Trying it's best to start in very cold conditions on the 8th February
2007 at Old Oak Common Depot LONDON UK.
The temperature on this date was -01c - 30.21F .
The power unit is clearly COLD hence the reason it is struggling to
start.It does start once the cylinder temperature rises around the 1:12 min
So,Please, Please stop telling us all how cold it is in your country this
video is not about that.All comments made about how cold it is in your
country will be deleted,we are not interested.Thanks.
"One Million hits" thank you all for the views.
Nevada Steam Trains 4th of July 2014
Happy 238th birthday, America! Celebrate the 4th of July in grand style as
we visit the Nevada State Railroad Museum for one of their annual steam ups
on July 4th, 2014! The museum brought out two historic steam locomotives
and their very unique McKeen motor car 22, all from the Virginia and
Truckee Railroad. The 2-6-0 "mogul" type engine Glenbrook was also out on
display. After visiting the museum, we travel up to Sparks, NV to watch the
July 4th Fireworks Celebration there.
As always, enjoy!
A tribute to the Gresley A4 Pacific's. If you want to know the name of a
certain engine just ask me which one you want to know and I'll tell you.