1957 Studebaker Champion Saved From The Crusher! Part 2 of 3
Hi! Cold War Motors just picked up this sweet old Stude so it wouldn't get melted down and made into a Prius or something. Join us for part 2 and we'll do a walk-around of this complete, original, untouched car. I don't know when it was driven last... any guesses?
Studebaker US6 "Frozen In Time" (Engine Overhaul)
In the summer of 2009 this 1945 Studebaker US6 with its Hercules JXD engine was brought back to life and driven 75 miles back to civilization after being abandoned in the remote Alaskan wilderness and "frozen in time" for two decades. Now in June 2013 the old war horse is getting some much needed TLC and a new lease on life. This truck was built on May 23, 1945.
1940 Studebaker Champion Introduction
The Studebaker Champion is an automobile which was produced by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana from the beginning of the 1939 model year until 1958. The success of the Champion in 1939 was imperative to Studebaker's survival following weak sales during the 1938 model year. Unlike most other cars, the Champion was designed from a "clean sheet", and had no restrictions caused by necessarily utilizing older parts or requiring the subsequent use of its components in heavier vehicles. Market research guided the selection of features, but a key principle adhered to was the engineering watchword "weight is the enemy." For its size, it was one of the lightest cars of its era. Its compact straight-6 engine outlasted the model itself and was produced to the end of the 1964 model year, with a change to an OHV design in 1961. The Champion was one of Studebaker's best-selling models because of its low price (US$660 for the two-door business coupe in 1939), durable engine, and styling. The car's ponton styling was authored by industrial designer Raymond Loewy who had been under contract with Studebaker for the design of their automobiles. Champions won Mobilgas economy runs by posting the highest gas mileage tests. During World War II, Champions were coveted for their high mileage at a time when gas was rationed in the United States. From 1943-1945, the Champion engine was used as the powerplant for the Studebaker M29 Weasel personnel and cargo carrier, which also used four sets of the Champion's leaf springs arranged transversely for its bogie suspension. The Champion was phased out in 1958 in preparation for the introduction of the 1959 Studebaker Lark. Prior to this, Studebaker had been placed under receivership, and the company was attempting to return to a profitable position. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Champion