BMW E36 Coupe 320i Instrument Cluster Test
Car - BMW E36 Coupe 320i - 10.1992 model year.
This test is rather simple just to ensure that every light and gauge of the
instrument cluster is OK and it also gives some factory codes directly from
the memory chips of the cluster itself. You have to hold down the trip
reset button and turn the key to position 1 and not 2. If you do this
correctly it is actually possible to NOT reset the trip counter.
Resetting Oil Service
How to reset Oil Service on BMW using "Reset tool 1982-2001 BMW Oil
Inspection Service 20 Pin" (available on eBay). Please don't bother me
about Check Control and ABS block buzzing :)
BMW 3 Series E36
This video is about the history of BMW 3 Series E36. On the video you will
see an onboard view from it. The driver is my father.
Instrument test BMW E36
A little video that shows a sort of test-sequence of the instrument cluster
from a BMW 3-series (E36). At first it didn't succeed, at 00.10 sec it does
I don't remember the actual method of how you do this, but I think the key
has to be in position 3 (all the light starts flashing up), then back to
position 2 (when you do have radio, but nothing else), than press and hold
the little odometer-button. At that point it should be starting.
3D Printing Blog: http://www.absplastic.eu
E39 540i Instrument cluster pixels fixed
First test run before final reassembly, all pixels are finally back.
Materials used: enameled copper magnet wire 38 gauge, soldered to the PCB
and glued with Wire Glue (carbon based) to the panel. A thin layer of epoxy
to seal the glued wires. Procedure is as follows:
1. Remove the OEM cable, keep it for reference.
2. Clean both the panel and the board; credit card works well.
3. Cut enough wires to length, about 180 wires roughly 1" long, the shorter
4. Expose copper from enamel on both ends of all wires (I used solder bath
5. Set your panel so it won't move, use a strip of double-sided sticky tape
to hold your wires when you gluing them until the glue is dry.
6. Glue all wires, make sure there are no shorts.
7. Solder all to the board and test.
8. Apply a thin layer of epoxy over the glued wires to seal them
9. Modify the supporting white plastic piece so that it doesn't push on the
PCB board where the wires are now soldered. Basically the areas where the
rubber goes need to be ground off.
10. Assemble and enjoy!
BMW Dashboard Test
Here's how to the diagnostic test the diagonostic test on an E46. This will
also work on almost any BMW built in the 90's and up:
1. Press and hold left button.
2. Turn key to at least 1 click. let go of left button.
3. Press left button again so "test 2" appears.
4. Wait about second and press left button again.
5. enjoy the show light show.