This is how a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew with the 5.7L 390 HP Hemi sounds after I swapped the stock 26" monster muffler for the new DynoMax VT muffler. It is the 22" 3'" Single In / 2.5" Dual Out model # 17963. This muffler has what DynoMax calls "Valve Technology" which is pretty quiet when at idle or at highway speeds, but opens up at wide open throttle. It is really an improvement over the stock muffler, but has the advantage of Zero Drone at Highway Speeds. At the time of this video, the muffler has only been on the truck 24 Hours, and about 40 Miles. It should get a little louder with time after burn-in.
2011 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn 5.7l HEMI MDS 4x4 Automatic with Rambox in Sagebrush Pearl
Just wanted to post my truck as I wasn't able to find too much out there posted on this truck when I was shopping around so hopefully this helps someone out there.
I've had the truck since Canada Day Eve 2011. Love it so far. So comfortable even on a 10hr ride to Timmins Ontario. The fan cooled comfortable seats helped :) We christened her 'Jesse'. A Western themed name of a character from Toy Story 2&3 for a western themed luxury truck. (we have a young daughter :)
PRO's & thinks I like:
- Beautiful Longhorn edition Sagebrush Pearl paint scheme with designation medallions, western design themed dash/upholstery, guage cluster, floor mats, steering wheel, shifter, seats
- 20 inch wheel design
- Rambox system is very useful including the divider/extender, rail system, locking lit storage compartments on each side of bed, locking tailgate with built in camera
- Multipurposed MyGIG 730N/Alpine quality sound system with subwoofer, nice LCD Touch Display, Sirius/XM Satellite, AM/FM, DVD/CD player, USB iPod control, media player input, 10GB hard drive for music/nav files, integrated NAV, Hands free, reverse backing/hitching up camera and rear object sensory all works very well and easy to set up
- power moon roof and rear window
- very comfortable power seating with cooling/heating/lumber/position adjusters, all leather is real, feels/smells nice
- engine is more fuel efficient than my last HEMI, sounds nice with dual Exhaust integrated into rear bumper, very powerful sinking you into seat when accelerating
- trip/compass computer integrated into dash
- large multipurposed swivel combo mirrors for towing
- night accent lighting all over interior locations and door entry is a nice touch
- 110V 170W power recepticle in dash
- storage compartments in floor and under rear seats, 2WD, AUTO, 4WD electronic selector seems to work well
- trailer wiring connectors are integrated into bumper with doors to conceal and keep them protected, clean and dry
CON's & dislikes:
- None yet, it's brand new. I may be biased too! Although, I really think they should've sold it with a matching western outfit from hat to boots :)
- Since recording this video, I found a nice Longhorn baseball cap :) I've installed the MOPAR Rambox Cargo management system which includes dividers, false bottoms for the deep areas and nets for under the doors. This kit wasn't too expensive and will probably come in handy
- After doing a pile of research, I also installed a Bakflip G2 hard flipping tonneau cover that looks great & keeps the bed dry and secure with tailgate lock. It also opens fully to rear window giving you pretty much the whole length of bed with a nice protector for the rear window when hauling objects that might roll forward and smash the glass. I highly recommend it. Google them...there's videos of what they look like and how they work. Easy installation too. ( bakfliptonneaucover.com/dodge_crew_cab_with_rambox___details_ )
- I then installed Mopar LED bed lighting and a 12V recepticle for the driver's side Rambox cargo compartment.
- For its first birthday I had it serviced, checked over and installed the Mopar rear tailgate power lock accessory. It had been a minor pain to have to try and get hidden key blade out of keyfob with an armload of stuff to physically unlock or lock the tailgate. With this upgrade the tailgate locks/unlocks when all the doors are locked/unlocked via door controls or keyfob. I'm hearing 2013 models will include this feature including power Rambox locks in addition which would also be nice!
- That's probably all I'll do for modifications, upgrades. I don't like to go overboard with modding, just useful upgrades.
Mustang Exhaust Shoot-Out - Dynomax VT vs. Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers
This video compares five Exhaust set-ups on my 1966 Ford Mustang, including open Exhaust, Dynomax VT mufflers with/without tailpipes, and Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers with/without tailpipes. The car has a stroked 302 with 10.2:1 compression, a solid roller cam, and aluminum heads. This car is a weekend driver, not a daily driver. I've been struggling to decide which mufflers sound best, so I welcome your honest feedback!
3" Dynomax VT Impressions
For all those who were asking.
The camera was sitting on my dash and picked up a lot of vibration.
So it sounds way lower than it does in real life.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Stock Exhaust
Here is a quick video of the start-up and rev of a stock 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L 390HP Hemi. The stock muffler is a 26" monster and is pretty restrictive. The Exhaust note is very muted at all times. This is a very quiet truck in its stock configuration.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 no muffler
video clip of my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, i cut off the single inlet dual outlet stock Exhaust and ran a y pipe (straight pipe) resonators and cats are still on