SLK 32 AMG vs Porsche Cayman S
I really love the SLK. My wife drives an SLK350 with the AMG suspension. The SLK is a really fun car to drive. But its just not a match on the track for a Porsche Cayman S.
He doesn't figure it out at first, then he knows and gives me a passing signal. The first passing signal was in the wrong place for the Yellow group.
Video from feb 2008 at Motorsportranch.com on the 1.7 mile road race track during an TheDriversEdge.net event. For Details about this Porsche Cayman S click on my user name.
SLK 32 AMG - Charade
SLK 32 AMG de 380 ch !! Avec l'Amicale SLK de France... Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX8, SLK 320, etc...
Mercedes Benz SLK 32 AMG Drag Race
The R170-platform SLK 230 Kompressor was introduced in 1997 for model year 1998 to compete with the Porsche Boxster and BMW Z3. Setting it apart was its folding hardtop, though its additional weight detracting from the performance of the 185 hp 2.3 L supercharged I4 engine and automatic transmission. The SLK was on Car and Driver's Ten Best list for 1997.
A 5-speed manual transmission was added for 1999 along with the 215 hp 3.2 L V6 and 6-speed manual transmission in the 2001 SLK 320.
An AMG model was added in 2001, with a 354 hp (264 kW) supercharged version of the 3.2 L V6. This SLK 32 AMG was the best-performing SLK ever, and was a direct rival of the BMW M Roadster and Porsche Boxster S. It is only offered with automatic transmission. The SLK AMG engine is also hand built.
Not all Mercedes SLKs were built in Bremen, Germany, the SLK 320 being built in South Africa. The very first R170 Mercedes SLK was completed on January 29, 1997 and last on April 7, 2004.
Summary of all versions and engine specifications:
· SLK 200 - 2.0 L (1998 cc) 136 hp I4 engine, 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 9.3 seconds, top speed of 208 km/h (129 mph). NB Exported only to Portugal, Italy and Greece.
· SLK 200 Kompressor - 2.0 L (1998 cc) 192 hp I4 supercharged engine, 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 7.7 seconds, top speed of 236 km/h (147 mph).
· SLK 230 Kompressor - 2.3 L (2295 cc) 193 hp I4 supercharged engine, 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 7.4 seconds, top speed of 231 km/h (143 mph).
R170 With Facelift
· SLK 200 Kompressor - 2.0 L (1998 cc) 163 hp I4 supercharged engine, 0-60 mph in 8.2 seconds, top speed of 223 km/h (138 mph). NB Not exported to North American markets.
· SLK 230 Kompressor - 2.3 L (2295 cc) 197 hp I4 supercharged engine, 0-60 mph in 6.9 seconds, top speed of 240 km/h (148 mph).
· SLK 320 - 3.2 L (3199 cc) 218 hp V6 engine, 0-60 mph in 6.5 seconds, top speed of 245 km/h (152 mph).
· SLK 32 AMG - 3.2 L (3199 cc) 354 hp V6 engine with "twin-screw" Supercharger. Production commenced in August 2000 and ended in March 2004.
Old Top Gear Brabus SLK
Old Top Gear from 1997
Jeremy Clarkson roadtests the Brabus S-Class & the Brabus SLK-Class
This clip was extracted from the episode that was first broadcast on the 29th May 1997