Excelsior 1919 Boardtrack Racer.
The captain of the Excelsior racing team, Bob Perry had a special relationship with the Schwinn family.
Ignaz Schwinn, the owner of the Excelsior Motorcycle Company envisioned Perry as a future executive in the company
and did not want him to race, but Perry wanted to race and was on hand to ride one of the new 1919 61 cu.in. OHC machines in
its debut at Ascot Park, Ca. on January 4, 1920. The Excelsior team arrived early for testing and discovered that the extremely
powerful new engine performed like it could fulfill Schwinn's hopes for a racer that would beat the Indian and Harley-Davidson
works machines. On January 3 it was announced that Bob Perry would ride the Excelsior on full throttle around the Ascot oval.
He crashed and was killed when he lost control entering a turn at a speed estimated between 95 and 100 miles per hour.
"Schwinn was devastated. The Excelsior team withdrew from the Ascot event, and Ignaz Schwinn went into the racing shop and
personally destroyed all of the overhead cam engines with a sledge hammer.
Not one of the machines survived.
This 1919 Excelsior Boardtrack racer was carefully recreated by Paul Brodie, using 6 known photographs of several of the
Excelsior 1000cc, 61 cu.in. OHC V-twin.
Approx. 49HP @ 6000 rpm
Speed 120 mph+
Yesterdays Antique Motorcycles
Peugeot 1903 motorcycle
Peugeot 1903 2HP Type "C" 239 cc
Although a prototype De Dion-engined Peugeot bicycle was displayed at
the Paris Salon in 1898, the first motorized cycles to leave the factory
were actually tricycles with De Dion & Bouton engines.
The popularity of the tricycle was unchallenged at first, but by 1902 the
motorized bicycle started to take the lead: at the Paris Salon in December
1901 81 motorised cycles were exhibited, of which there were only 21
tricycles or quadricycles.
One of the sixty motorized bicycles present was a Peugeot, propelled by a 1
Â½ HP ZL engine.
The engine was clipped to the front down tube and had a displacement of 198
Its weight was only 35 kilograms and a cruising speed of between 25 and
40 km/h was attainable.
For 1903 the engine was placed in the "New Werner Position" and now two
models were catalogued, one with 2HP ZL engine and the other with
Peugeot's own 2 HP power source, both types having the same cycle parts.
The "Type C' has a bore x stroke of 66x70 mm and the engine is fed by a
Relatively few of these machines were produced, so this is a pretty rare
This early veteran is in authentic condition but she will need some TLC
to put her back on the road again.
1905ish Homemade Motorcycle
Streached English bicycle frame, Motor made from VW top end, Honda 125
crank, Briggs cam. Automatic inlet valve dampened from bouncing on its seat
with a rubber star on top. About 2 HP, 2500 RPM max. Buddfab
Militaire motorcycle 1915
The 4 cylinder MILITAIRE was produced from 1913 until 1917 by the Militaire
Auto Company of Buffalo New York.
Its four cylinder ( inlet over Exhaust) 68 cu. in.
engine produce some 11.5 H.P.
It has some very unusual features, such as wooden artillery wheels with 28
inch x 3 clincher tires, a curved front axel on which the front bearing
slid in order to make a turn, a car like three-speed "on the floor" type
stick shift plus reverse gear, shaft drive through beveled gears with an
enclosed ring gear and pinion at the rear wheel and on the side,
retractable outrigger wheels which also has a big advantage when waiting
for the traffic lights.
These foot lever operated wheels retract like landing gear on an aircraft.
One can stop to a complete standstill and accelerate again without taking
ones feet from the foot boards.
The length of 97" must have made it the longest machine on the road. Speed
is claimed to be from 3 to 70 miles an hour.
The original cost was $335.00 and it was a lot of machine for the money.
This 1915 model is an extremely rare survivor of one of the most
charismatic motorcycles ever built.
Only a handfull of these have survived and this one is presented to you by
www.yesterdays.nl worldwide dealers for fine antique motorcycles.
Indian 1915 8 valve boardtrack film.wmv
Starting a 1915 Indian 61cu.in. boardtrack racer at Yesterdays Nederweert
Look at the flames coming out of the ported cylinder heads.
This bike was found dismantled in an Australian collection some years ago.
Boy, we have a hard life........
1908 Indian Motorcycle
This 1908 Indian Torpedo Tank board track racer was displayed at the Legend
of the Motorcycle show in Half Moon Bay, CA, in May, '08. That's right,
it's 100 years old and in original condition. A true, unrestored "barn
find", it won the Best of Show award. Check out my other videos, and please
leave a comment. I'd like to hear from you.
Leon Bollee 1897
Leon Bollee 1897.
Yesterdays motorcycles. Netherlands.
ca 1897 Leon Bollee Tricar-Tricycle .
Single cylinder ca 800cc 4-stroke engine
Automatic/atmospheric inlet valve
Hot tube ignition, so there is no spark plug used for the ignition.
Instead of a spark plug ( not yet invented/perfected in 1897 ) there is a
hollow tube outside the cylinder head as an extension of the combustion
chamber. An external gasoline burner heats up the tube to red hot and this
provides the heat/spark to ignite the compressed air/fuel mixture in the
There is a 3-speed gearbox which works remarkably well.
Flat leather belt drive to rear wheel.
Braking is by moving the complete rear wheel with drive pulley forward
against the brake block.
This also reduces the tension on the drive belt and the belt will run free
on the front drive pulley.
By moving the combined hand lever / gear change lever backwards the belt
drive will be tightened ( clutch ) and one is on the move again.
OK Supreme 1927 motorcycle with Bradshaw engine
OK Supreme 1927 349 cc OHV oil cooled Bradshaw
OK motorcycles were manufactured by the firm of Humphries & Dawes in
Birmingham from 1899 till 1939: from 1926, when one of the controlling
partners left the firm, the company was renamed OK Supreme. The
motorcycles were built at the Hall Green Works in Birmingham. The company
had some success in racing in the twenties and was sufficiently well
established to overcome the downturn in trade in the Depression years.
In the years before the Great War the company fitted among others
"Precision" engines, in the early twenties Union and Villiers two stroke
power units were fitted. In the mid-twenties the range consisted of two
stroke models of 292 and 348 cc cc, the sports tourer OHV Bradshaw and
sv and ohv Blackburne power units. Plenty of choice in engines!
From the late twenties the company used mainly sv and ohv JAP engines,
although there was also a model with OK ohc engine for some years.
Granville Bradshaw designed several oil cooled engines; the first was a 500
cc ohv flat twin which was used by Zenith in 1920. In 1921 the range was
extended with a 350 cc ohv single and a 1000 cc V-twin. The engines were
produced by James Walmsley & Co in Preston and marketed by Gilbert
Campling. From 1925 the engines were built by Dorman in Stafford. The
longstroke Bradshaw engine -- used by OK from 1924 to 1928 - has bore and
stroke dimensions of 68x96 mm and mechanical lubrication. The machine
has a 3 speed gearbox and Brown & Barlow carburettor. It weighs about 200
lbs, so it's a light and agile machine.