iPad installed in Chevy Silverado
I fiberglassed an iPad into my dash with a linear actuator to motorize the
unit. I used a Kenwood headunit for volune and equalizer, USB, and
Bluetooth. The iPad is jailbroken and the applications shown are Pandora,
SlingPlayer, Beatmaker, and Soundhound.
COMPLETED!! iPad Install BY BEST BUY INSTALLER in 2005 Chevy Silverado inspired by Soundman
I HAVE TO ADD IN, THAT I AM A CAR AUDIO INSTALLER FOR BEST BUY. I HAD TO
ADD THIS IN BECAUSE BEST BUY INSTALLERS DON'T HAVE THE BEST REPUTATION FOR
BEING GREAT INSTALLERS. I WANTED TO HELP CHANGE THE IMAGE OF BEST BUY
INSTALLERS. WE HAVE THE BEST TRAINING OUT THERE, REQUIRED TO BE MECP
CERTIFIED. COME DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL BEST BUY TO GET SOME GREAT PRODUCT
INSTALLED IN YOUR RIDE!!
Custom iPad install into my 2005 Silverado
1. Made a template out of masking tape
2. Made a filler plate out of 1/8 MDF
3. Used quick drying epoxy to glue the board down
4. Screwed the board in TEMPORARILY with screws and speed clips(Until the
5.Removed the screwed
6. Fiberglassed the board smooth with resin and mat
7. Traced out a pattern of the iPad on the MDF and cut it into 3 pieces to
get the contour of the iPad. I used quick drying super glue to temporarily
hold the shape. BE SURE TO PROTECT THE iPAD SO YOU DON'T GLUE THE BOARD TO
8. Once you get the basic shape, you can now use resin and matt to
fiberglass the boards together for a hard shape.
9. Now you can cut a notch out for the docking station.
10. I used epoxy to hold the dock station in place. (left the iPad in the
housing to get the perfect angle on the docking station)
11.Cut out side pieces and glued them in with super glue
12. Cut out 4 pieces on MDF to create the front panel, and glued it in.
13. Once all the panels are temporarily glued in, you can now fiberglass
all the panels together to make a very strong mold/case for your iPad.
14. Cut out a notch for the HOME button. take your time!! this can make or
break the look of this project. After the final painting of this housing, i
will be adding a suede backing, to protect the iPad from scratches
15. I modified a 13" TV bracket so my iPad an swivel in both directions for
easy removal and tilting to the passenger.
16. I created a housing for the bracket and iPad housing. i left the edges
a little longer, so i can grind it flush.
17. After a lot of carful measuring, i cut out a section from my dash
bezel, so i can fiberglass that housing into the dash bezel.
18. I cut notches out of the housing, so i can use them as a guide to line
up the housing perfect. I used hot glue to to temporarily hold the housing
in place until i fiberglass it in. (i used hot glue because this takes a
lot of adjusting)
19. Sanded the edged flush and fiberglassed the edges in. (Front and Back)
IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING, THE BACK PANEL OF THE HOUSING IS MADE OUT OF
1/2 MDF TO SUPPORT THE BRACKET AND iPADS WEIGHT.
AS FAR AS INSTALLING IT IN MY TRUCK. THIS IS WHAT I DID....
1. I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE THIS INSTALL SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO A LOT OF
CUTTING OF THE FACTORY DASH. THE HOUSING FOR THE STOCK RADIO AND THE A/C
CONTROLS CAN BE COMPLETELY UNBOLDED (EXCEPT FOR 2 RIVETS) I DO THIS, SO YOU
CAN ALWAYS PUT IT BACK TO STOCK IF YOU EVER WANNA SELL UR TRUCK
2. OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE TO RELOCATE THE CLIMATE CONTROLS, I DECIDED TO
RELOCATE THEM TO THE OVERHEAD CONSEL (WHERE FACTORY REAR CLIMATE CONTROLS
WOULD BE ON A TAHOE.
3. YOU MUST NOW REMOVE AND PLUG OFF THE A/C VENT.
4. THE ONLY PART YOU SHOULD HAVE TO CUT OUT, IS THE TABS THAT THE POCKET
(BELOW THE VENT) IS CLIPPED TO. SAVE WUT YOU CUT OFF BECAUSE IT CAN ALWAYS
BE GLUDED BACK ON!!
5. I NOW WILL HARDWIRE A CIGARETTE SOCKET BEHIND DASH TO GIVE CHARGING TO
MY IPAD. AND I USED A 3.5MM JACK TO RCA OUT TO GIVE ME AUDIO TO MY RADIO.
6. I USED A PIONEER DEH-6200BT RADIO, AND USED THE I.P BUS INPUT SO GET
AUDIO TO MY SPEAKERS, FROM MY iPad. I USED THIS RADIO INSTEAD OF AN
EQUILIZER BECAUSE IT HAS BUILT IN BLUETOOTH AND HAS AN AUDIO INPUT. AND I
AM MOUNTING IT UNDER MY PASSENGER SEAT BECAUSE I HAVE STEERING WHEEL
CONTROLS, WHICH WILL ALLOW ME TO CONROL THE VOLUME AND AND ANSWER/END MY
PHONE CALLS. SO THERE IS REALLY NO NEED FOR MY TO HAVE THE RADIO VISIBLE.
7. I MADE SURE TO USE A SCOSHE DOOR CHIME MODULE SO IT KEEPS A HEALTHY
COMPUTER CONTROLS AND KEEPS ALL MY FACTORY WARNING CHIMES. OF COARSE I HAVE
TO EXDEND ALL THE WIRES TO UNDER THE SEAT.
THE A/C CONTROLS TOOK A LOT MORE BODY WORK THAN I EXPECTED. I USED 1/8 MDF
TO FABRICATE A HOUSING, AND I CUT THE HELL OUT OF THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE.
USED A LOT OF FIBERGLASS AND BONDO TO CREATED GIVE IT AN OEM LOOK.
AS FAR AS THE PAINT, I WAS GONNA HAVE A BUDDY PAINT IT FROM HIS SHOP, BUT I
GOT A LIL IMPATIENT, SO I DECIDED TO GIVE THE DUPLI COLOR RATTLE CAN PAINT
A TRY. I PICKED A FEW CANS OF PAINT AND CLEAR UP AT MY LOCAL PEP BOYS FOR
ABOUT 6$ A CAN. AND I WAS SURPRISED HOW GREAT IT LOOKED. IT LOOKED JUST AS
GOOD AS ANY PAINT JOB I HAVE SEEN FROM A PAINT SHOP.
We integrated the iPad 3G in a Yukon , we can watch YouTube videos , netfix
movied and iPod movies. This is the greatest thing ever because we also can
charge the unit as we watch a movie . Hope you guys come by and see us .
Motorized iPad 2 Install in Silverado
I decided to modify my iPad install to house an iPad 2. In order to
accomplish this, I had to cut the air vent, move the AC controls down and
fabricate a pod to house the AC controls and Kenwood headunit. I used a
linear actuator to motorize the unit. The headunit has Bluetooth and USB
input for hands-free calling and music when I don't have the iPad in the
Custom iPad install BY BEST BUY INSTALLER into Silverado inspired by Soundman
Custom iPad install into my 2005 Silverado. I HAVE TO ADD IN, THAT I AM A
CAR AUDIO INSTALLER FOR BEST BUY. I HAD TO ADD THIS IN BECAUSE BEST BUY
INSTALLERS DON'T HAVE THE BEST REPUTATION FOR BEING GREAT INSTALLERS. I
WANTED TO HELP CHANGE THE IMAGE OF BEST BUY INSTALLERS. WE HAVE THE BEST
TRAINING OUT THERE, REQUIRED TO BE MECP CERTIFIED. COME DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL
BEST BUY TO GET SOME GREAT PRODUCT INSTALLED IN YOUR RIDE!!
Dash Painted to match exterior of truck. Relocated A/C controls. iPad
bracket moves in both directions. DEH-6200BT pioneer radio under the
passenger seat. Factory chimes and steering wheel controls still working.
Any questions, shoot me an email. Armofgold85@aol.com
07 Chevy avalanche with ipad and xm skydock
Ipad in car charging problem solved?
I installed the xm skydock with a dock extension cable hard wired the
lighter, used the 1/8 to rca adaptor for the audio signal installed the
antenna for xm skydock and bam it all works charges just like a home
charger. usb audio signal out and xm to boot 75.00 for skydock 25 bucks for
cable jive dock extension cable dont use the 7.00 one on amazon it doesnt
have all the pins. evidentally the skydock pulls its power from the ipad
and the cheap cable is missing those wires.
iPad in a Chevy Truck, SoundMan Car Audio
here's the latest SoundMan iPad install.
This customer is replacing his Mac Mini setup with an iPad. A different
shop previously installed a Mac Mini with a Xenarc 10'' touchscreen. After
seeing SoundMan's iPad installs, the customer drove down to update his
setup with a new Alpine deck and one of Doug's custom dash panels