F1 - 1959 Avus GP - Hans Hermann accident
The simplistic track consisted of a very fast straight down either side of
a dual carriageway, punctuated at one end by a hairpin and at the other by
a steep banking.
Also uniquely in Formula One World Championship history, the race was
divided into two heats. In the first, Tony Brooks and Dan Gurney took the
lead. Masten Gregory in the Cooper-Climax battled hard with them, passing
first one Ferrari then the other as the lead changed hands until a big end
bolt broke. It was a Ferrari 1-2-3 with Phil Hill taking the final podium
place. In the second heat, once again the Ferraris had a duel at the front,
this time with Bruce McLaren until he suffered transfer gear problems. On
aggregate placings, it was an all-Ferrari podium in the order Brooks,
Gurney, Hill. Maurice Trintignant was fourth from Jo Bonnier and Ian
Burgess. This was the fastest Formula One race recorded at this time, with
an average speed of 143.3 miles per hour. Hans Herrmann crashed his BRM P25
five laps into the second heat.
Former Ferrari driver Frenchman Jean Behra was due to race his
Behra-Porsche Special in the Grand Prix but Behra was killed the day before
racing a Porsche RSK in the Formula 2 support race at the same venue.
The results show evidence of the inconsistency with which rules were
applied in this era. According to Formula One rules of the day, those
drivers who retired before the end of the Grand Prix should only be
classified if they pushed the car over the line after the finish. This rule
was not applied to Harry Schell, who retired some 11 laps before the end.
However, the rule was applied in other races, such as the 1960 Belgian
Grand Prix. The rules were later clarified in 1966.
Brooks win allowed him to close to within four points of championship
leader, Australian Cooper racer Jack Brabham.
Nürburgring - Hermann Lang
In 1962 Hermann Lang came back to the Nürburgring to drive his Mercedes
W125 Grand Prix car again. The 1937 Mercedes W125 Data: 8-Cylinder In-line
5,660 CC 646 bhp at 5,800 rpm (The most powerfull gp car ever built up
until the late seventies)
Tripoli Grand Prix 1937 سباق الملاحة
The Tripoli Grand Prix was a motor racing event first held in 1925 on a
racing circuit outside Tripoli, the capital of what was then Italian
Tripolitania. Motor racing was an extremely popular sport in Italy and the
colony was seeking methods to raise capital and promote tourism -- tourists
who, it was hoped, would then decide to settle in Tripolitania. But despite
the support of the colony's extremely enthusiastic governor, Emilio de
Bono, and some initial success, the events failed financially. Only
personal intervention by de Bono kept the 1929 event from being cancelled,
and 1930 was marred by a spartan field, little public interest, and the
death of Gastone Brilli-Peri in an accident. Initial enthusiasm and
sponsorship had retreated, the fallout from Brilli-Peri's accident meant a
1931 running was impossible, and the dream of a successful Tripoli Grand
Prix might have ended there and then.
But the president of Tripoli's auto club, Edigio Sforzini, was resilient.
He decided to organize another Grand Prix, this time on a purpose built
European style racing circuit. Sufficient capital was raised from the
Italian government's funding of a fair promoting the colony so as to make
the venture possible, and upon the circuit's completion the Grand Prix was
scheduled for the spring of 1933.
This new Mellaha Lake track was a 13.140 kilometer (8.165 mi) long affair
situated in a salt basin between Tripoli, Suq al Jum'ah (also known as Suk
el Giuma or Sugh el Giumaa (سوق الجمعة)) and Tajura. The track's
most distinctive landmark was a brilliant white concrete tower situated
across from a large frontstretch grandstand that could hold up to ten
thousand people. Mellaha Lake was equipped with starting lights and a
photo-electric timing system, both innovations, and the additional
amenities rivaled the best that continental European circuits had to offer.
With Italy exerting further control over its North African holdings,
including the appointment of Italo Balbo as Governor-General and the
joining of Italian Cyrenaica and Italian Tripolitania into a single colony,
Libya, the event gained even more spectacle. The participants were treated
like royalty, staying in luxury at the Hotel Uaddan with its casino and
dinner theater and being entertained by Balbo at his palace. All this led
Dick Seaman to describe Mellaha Lake as the "ascot of motor racing
circuits", and coupled with its substantial total prize, it is easy to
see why the Tripoli Grand Prix became such a popular date on the calendar.
From 1933 to 1938, the Grand Prix was run to the Formula Libre standard,
meaning that no weight or engine restrictions were enforced on what was
then the fastest track in the world. By 1939, the Italians had tired of
Germany's dominance and they turned it into a Voiturette race for smaller,
1500cc cars, but they were foiled when a specially-built Mercedes driven by
Hermann Lang won. In 1940, with only the factory Alfa Romeo and Maserati
teams plus independents in attendance, Giuseppe Farina took his only major
pre-war victory. It was a phyrric and irrelevant result, and the Tripoli
Grand Prix was never held again.
UAE /Algeria / Yemen / Bahrain / / Palestine/ Iraq/ Kuwait/ Libya/ Lebanon/
Morocco/ Egypt/ Mauritania/ Qatar/ Syria/ Sudan/ Oman/ Tunisia /Saudi
/ Jordan/UK/England/USA/Germany/France/Spa in
الإمارات /البحرين / اليمن/ الجزائر /
فلسطين/ الكويت/ /العراق /ليبيا / لبنان
/المغرب / مصر / موريتانيا / الأردن/ تونس /
السعودية / السودان/ عمان/ قطر / سورية
تمتيع تفحيط تسطريب ليبيا طرابلس
Auto Union and Mercedes W165 engine starts, LOUD!
Goodwood Festival of Speed FOS 2011, Auto Union Type C & D and Mercedes
W165 engine starts. Awesome sounds, very loud!
Auto Union drivers: Nick Mason and Hans-Joachim Stuck.
Mercedes Silver Arrow W165
Chassis 449547 was the second of the two W165s completed for the 1939
Tripoli Grand Prix. It was considered the slower of the two cars and Lang
was sent out in it with an unfavourable strategy. He nevertheless dominated
the race and if he had wanted, he could have lapped his 'team leader' in
the closing stages. As mentioned the car was only tested and demonstrated
after its debut victory. It remained dormant for over fifty years and is
still only very rarely seen outside of Stuttgart. Celebrating the 75th
anniversary of the 'Silver Arrows,' it is seen here at one of those rare
outings, during the 2009 Retromobile in Paris.
Auto Union Type C
Mercedes-Benz domination in Grand Prix ended with the Auto Union Typ C. It
took a few years to get it right, but Ferdinand Porsche's daring design
with a mid-mounted V16 finally won. It claimed many victories from 1936 to
1938 until the three-liter formula was laid out for 1939.
Horch, Audi, DKW and Wanderer created Auto Union with the help of Ferdinand
Porsche and Adolf Rosenberger. Along with building passenger cars, a goal
of the new company was to enter Grand Prix. They did so in 1934 with a
daring mid-engined race car called the Typ A. This evolved into the
slightly larger Typ B the following year and the Typ C was fitted with a
much larger engine for 1936.
The Type-C was a third evolution of Auto Union's racecar. It primarily
competed with Mercedes-Benz but also raced against Alfa Romeo's 12C-36, the
Maserati V8RI and Bugatti 59/50. Type-Cs won six victories in 1936 and made
Bernt Rosermeyer world champion