Hub Grappler ™ by OTC
OTC Hub Grappler™ by OTC
• The Hub Grappler Kit is the complete solution for
servicing wheel hubs and bearings on the vehicle
without removing the steering components or knuckle.
This eliminates unnecessary alignments or the use of a
shop press, cutting service time dramatically.
• The new Hub Grappler Puller is specifically designed
to apply maximum force with minimal effort from an
impact gun to also minimize service time.
• The new jaws are designed and sized to properly fit hub
applications and can be quickly located on the puller
bar without the use of fasteners.
• The new 3/4" custom drive screw coupled with the
special equalizer washer provides smooth operation
while the proprietary heat treating extends its life
5-10 times longer than similar designs.
• 6 new adapters increases application coverage up to
2009 model year. Also includes tie rod/ball joint tool
and 2 Ford axle installers.
• The new Hub Grappler Application Guide is the most
comprehensive hub and bearing service guide on the
market. Developed to be the first tool used in the kit,
it provides quick reference to the other tools in the kit
required to do the job, eliminating guesswork and
saving time. New and Improved Design
The Triumph Motor Company was a British car and motor manufacturing
company. The Triumph marque (trade-name) is owned currently by BMW. The
marque had its origins in 1885 when Siegfried Bettmann (1863--1951) of
Nuremberg initiated S. Bettmann & Co and started importing bicycles from
Europe and selling them with his own trade-name in London. The trade-name
became "Triumph" the year next, and in 1887 Bettmann was joined by a
partner, Moritz (Maurice) Schulte, also from Germany. Beginning in 1889 the
businessmen started producing their own bicycles in Coventry, England.
In November 1944 what was left of the Triumph Motor Company and the Triumph
trade-name were bought by the Standard Motor Company and a subsidiary
"Triumph Motor Company (1945) Limited" was formed with production
transferred to Standard's factory at Canley, on the outskirts of Coventry.
The pre-war Triumph models were not revived and in 1946 a new range of
Triumphs was announced, starting with the Triumph Roadster. The Roadster
had an aluminium body because steel was in short supply and surplus
aluminium from aircraft production was plentiful.
In the early 1950s it was decided to use the Triumph name for sporting cars
and the Standard name for saloons and in 1953 the Triumph TR2 was
initiated, the first of a series that would be produced until 1981.
Triumph TR4 (TRS) - 1961 Le Mans 24hrs (10th June 1961)
Triumph at Le Mans (1961)
June 10th 1961 From the Standard Triumph archives
Commentary by Raymond Baxter
This is a promotional film produced by the Standard Triumph Motor Company
of Coventry, England. The film documents the 1961 24hr of Le Mans and the 3
Triumph TR4S racing prototypes entered by the company. This was a follow up
to a similar but less than successful effort by the company the previous
year, which was also documented on film.
1971 & 1972 Triumph Stags
The Triumph Stag is a British car sold between 1970 and 1978 by the Triumph
Motor Company, styled by Italian designer Giovanni Michelotti.
Envisioned as a luxury sports car, the Triumph Stag was designed to compete
directly with the Mercedes-Benz SL class models. All Stags were four-seater
convertible coupés, but for structural rigidity -- and to meet new
American rollover standards of the time -- the Stag required a B-pillar
"roll bar" hoop connected to the windscreen frame by a T-bar. A removable
hardtop was a popular factory option for the early Stags, and was later
supplied as a standard fitment.
The car started as a styling experiment cut and shaped from a 1963--4
Triumph 2000 pre-production saloon, which had also been styled by
Michelotti, and loaned to him by Harry Webster, Director of Engineering at
Triumph from the early to late 1960s. Their agreement was that if Webster
liked the design, Triumph could use the prototype as the basis of a new
Triumph model. Harry Webster, who was a long time friend of Giovanni
Michelotti, whom he called "Micho", absolutely loved the design and
spirited the prototype back to England. The end result, a two-door drop
head (convertible), had little in common with the styling of its progenitor
2000, but retained the suspension and drive line. Triumph liked the
Michelotti design so much that they propagated the styling lines of the
Stag into the new T2000/T2500 saloon and estate model lines of the 1970s.
The initial Stag design was based around the saloon's 2.5-litre engine, and
Harry Webster intended the Stag, large saloons and estate cars to use a new
Triumph-designed overhead cam (OHC) 2.5-litre fuel injected (PI) V8. Under
the direction of Harry Webster's successor, Spen King in 1968, the new
Triumph OHC 2.5 PI V8 was enlarged to 2997 cc (3.0 litres) to increase
torque. To meet emission standards in the USA, a key target market, the
troublesome mechanical fuel injection was dropped in favour of dual
Zenith-Stromberg 175 CDSE carburettors. A key aim of Triumph's engineering
strategy at the time was to create a family of engines of different size
around a common crankshaft. This would enable the production of power
plants of capacity between 1.5 and 4 litres, sharing many parts, and hence
offering economies of manufacturing scale and of mechanic training. A
number of iterations of this design went into production, notably a slant
four-cylinder engine used in the later Triumph Dolomite and Triumph TR7,
and a variant manufactured by StanPart that was initially used in the Saab
99. The Stag's V8 was the first of these engines into production. Sometimes
described as two four-cylinder engines Siamesed together, it is more
correct to say that the later four-cylinder versions were half a Stag
engine (the left half).
It has sometimes been alleged that Triumph were instructed to use the
proven all-aluminium Rover V8, originally designed by Buick, but claimed
that it would not fit. Although there was a factory attempt by Triumph to
fit a Rover engine, which was pronounced unsuccessful, the decision to go
with the Triumph V8 was probably driven more by the wider engineering
strategy and by the fact that the Buick's different weight and torque
characteristics would have entailed substantial re-engineering of the Stag
when it was almost ready to go on sale. Furthermore Rover, also owned by
British Leyland, could not necessarily have supplied the numbers of V8
engines to match the anticipated production of the Stag anyway.
As in the Triumph 2000 model line, monocoque construction was employed, as
was fully independent suspension -- MacPherson struts in front,
semi-trailing arms at the rear. Braking was by front disc and rear drum
brakes, while steering was power-assisted rack and pinion.
The Triumph Stag has sizeable club and owner support and a number of
specialist suppliers. According to the main enthusiast club in the UK,
approximately 9,000 Stags are believed to survive in the United Kingdom.
The car's popularity is due to its performance, comparative rarity and its
Michelotti styling. The problems associated with the car over the years
have been solved by those enthusiast clubs supporting the Stag, elevating
this classic to its intended place in popularity envisioned by its
In the James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever, Bond commandeers a 1970
Triumph Stag from a diamond smuggler