The Plymouth Satellite is an automobile introduced in 1965 as the top model in Plymouth's mid-size Belvedere line. The Satellite remained the top of the line model until the 1967 model year, where it became the mid-price model with the GTX taking its place as the top model. The Fury name was moved to Plymouth's mid-size models for 1975, at which time the Satellite name disappeared. The Satellite was built on Chrysler's mid-size "B" platform.
When a new, larger Plymouth Fury was introduced for 1965 on Chrysler's full-size C platform, the Plymouth Belvedere name was moved to Plymouth's "new" mid-size line for 1965, in what was really a continuation of Plymouth's full-size 1962-1964 models. The Belvedere Satellite was the top trim model in the series, above the Belvedere I and II. It was only available as a two-door hardtop or convertible. Offered with bucket seats and center console as standard, the Satellite was available exclusively with V8 engines. For 1965, the standard engine was the 273 c.i.d., and optional choices were the 318, and 361, 383 and 426 "Commando" engines. This 426 had the wedge combustion chamber design, and is not the 426 "Hemi" offered in 1966. The front end was simple: a single headlight on each side, and a grille divided into four thin rectangles laid horizontally. The concurrent Fury was given a "stacked" dual headlight design.
The 1965 Satellite 2-door hardtop had a production run of 23,341. In standard trim the 2-door hardtop weighed 3,220 lb (1,460 kg) and cost $2,612. The convertible saw a production figure of 1,860 weighing 3,325 lb (1,508 kg) and costing $2,827 in standard trim.
In 1966, along with a redesigning, the Satellite was available with the newly optional "Street Hemi" engine, which had two 4-barrel carburetors, and 10.25:1 compression. This engine was rated at 425 hp (317 kW) at 5,000 rpm and 490 lbft of torque at 4,000 rpm. The other V8 engine options for 1966 remained the standard 180 hp (130 kW) 273, plus the popular 318 at 230 hp (170 kW) and the 265 hp (198 kW) Commando 361 and Commando 383 at 325 hp (242 kW), down from the 330 hp (250 kW) it had on tap in 1965.
Daredevil Driving Stunts in a 1936 Plymouth: "Trial by Torture" 1935 Chrysler Corporation
more at http://cars.quickfound.net/
Toughness of the 1936 Plymouth is demonstrated by showing how components,
structures, and the entire vehicle are "torture tested." Includes several
good shots of deliberately rolling cars, and daredevil driving by "Hell
Drivers' such as Lucky Teter and Jimmy Lynch.
Public domain film from the Prelinger Archive, slightly cropped to remove
uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and mild video noise
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise
reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound,
though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).
Plymouth was a marque of automobiles based in the United States, produced
by the Chrysler Corporation and its successor DaimlerChrysler. Production
was discontinued on June 29, 2001 in the United States.
The Plymouth automobile was introduced on July 7, 1928. It was Chrysler
Corporation's first entry in the low-priced field, which at the time was
already dominated by Chevrolet and Ford. Plymouths were actually priced
slightly higher than their competition, but offered all standard features
such as internal expanding hydraulic brakes that the competition did not
provide. Plymouths were originally sold exclusively through Chrysler
dealerships. The logo featured a rear view of the ship Mayflower which
landed at Plymouth Rock. However, the Plymouth brand name came from
Plymouth Binder Twine, chosen by Joe Frazer for its popularity among
The origins of Plymouth can be traced back to the Maxwell automobile. When
Walter P. Chrysler took over control of the troubled Maxwell-Chalmers car
company in the early 1920s, he inherited the Maxwell as part of the
package. After he used the company's facilities to help create and launch
the Chrysler car in 1924, he decided to create a lower-priced companion
car. So for 1926 the Maxwell was reworked and re-badged as the low-end
Chrysler "52" model. In 1928, the "52" was once again redesigned to create
the Chrysler-Plymouth Model Q. The "Chrysler" portion of the nameplate was
dropped with the introduction of the Plymouth Model U in 1929.
Great Depression, 1940s and 1950s
While the original purpose of the Plymouth was to serve a lower-end
marketing niche, during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the marque
helped significantly in ensuring the survival of the Chrysler Corporation
in a decade when many other car companies failed. Beginning in 1930,
Plymouths were sold by all three Chrysler divisions (Chrysler, DeSoto, and
Dodge). Plymouth sales were a bright spot during this dismal automotive
period, and by 1931 Plymouth rose to the number three spot among all cars.
In 1931 with the Model PA, the company introduced floating power and
boasted, "The economy of a four; the smoothness of a six." In 1933 Chrysler
decided to catch up with Ford and Chevrolet with respect to engine cylinder
count. The 190 cu in version of Chrysler's flathead-6 engine was equipped
with a downdraft carburetor and installed in the new 1933 Plymouth PC,
introduced on 17 November 1932. However, Chrysler had reduced the PC's
wheelbase from 112 in (284.5 cm) to 107 in (271.8 cm), and the car sold
poorly. By April 1933, the Dodge division's Model DP chassis, with a 112 in
(284.5 cm) wheelbase, was put under the PC body with DP front fenders,
hood, and radiator shell. The model designation was advanced to PD and the
car was marketed as the "DeLuxe" 1933 Plymouth. This car sold very well and
is the 1933 model most commonly found in collections. The PC became the
'Standard Six'. It had been the 'Plymouth Six' at introduction, and was
sold through to the end of 1933, but in much lower numbers. It is
consequently in the minority in collectors' hands today. In 1937, Plymouth
(along with the other Chrysler makes) added safety features such as flat
dash boards with recessed controls and the back of the front seat padded
for the rear seat occupants. The PC was shipped overseas to Sweden,
Denmark, and the UK, as well as Australia. In the UK it was sold as a
'Chrysler Kew', Kew Gardens being the location of the Chrysler factory
outside London. The flathead 6 which started with the 1933 Model PC stayed
in the Plymouth until the 1959 models.
In 1939 Plymouth produced 417,528 vehicles, of which 5,967 were two-door
convertible coupes with rumble seats. The 1939 convertible coupe was
prominently featured at Chrysler's exhibit at the 1939 New York World's
Fair, advertised as the first mass-production convertible with a power
folding top. It featured a 201 cu in, 82 hp version of the flathead six
For much of its life, Plymouth was one of the top-selling American
automobile brands; it together with Chevrolet and Ford were commonly
referred to as the "low-priced three" marques in the American market...