Saw this at the Mount Gambier show and had to share.
Really appreciate the interest shown so far.
Some good views of rockers and scavenge blower and a look in the inlet showing the piston working as the valve plus the injector shooting into a glass jar.
As a kid I remember the sharp bark these engines made at full noise. Apologies to anoraks who want to know all the details but it was hard to hear the chap at the engine because of surrounding noise.
The chugging noise you can hear is the vintage Ronaldson Tippett engine which is turning this engine over slowly so you can see how it works.
Further notes: It is a 2 stroke cycle which fires every revolution and uses the piston on the inlet side to open and close the port and the piston on the Exhaust side to uncover the Exhaust at the appropriate time while the blower is not to supercharge but to "scavenge" the spent gases ( basically the air blows in the inlet and out the Exhaust at a slight pressure)
For those interested in Aerodiesels, : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_diesel_engine
Link to a running engine:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAoj5Cuu68
How a 2 stroke detroit diesel engine runs
I have a couple videos of my 2 stroke detroit diesel powered pickup here on
youtube, and I have gotten hundreds and hundreds of questions about how in
the world it runs, and lots of people who do not believe that it really is
a 2 stroke. So, I'm sorry, I don't have the best voice in the world, and
I'm not the best at explaining things or getting the right words to come
out, but I did my best in this video to try to give you an idea of how it
PAUT MOTOR-REVOLUTIONARY ENGINE.wmv
PAUT ENGINE -
Prototype 2 is performed as an engine with two-sided pistons, positioned
at 90° to each other, in combination with PAUT two-stroke cycles (fig 1).
Such construction provides an engine containing less assembling parts,
having smaller mass to power and overall-dimensions to power ratios, which
are the presumptions for a successful product to be accomplished and for
low cost production/exploitation to be expected. Smaller mass, compared to
the prior art engines, derives from the fact that PAUT engine contains
considerably less assembling parts lacking elements such as: rods,
camshafts, camshaft's driving parts, some valves, large heads.
The very construction of the two-sided piston (fig 3) has more
advantages. Contact area between two-sided piston and cylinder is
considerably larger compared to prior art pistons. Hence, specific
pressures are lower and since the two-sided piston is lubricated under the
pressure, the friction is considerably smaller, the more so as we know that
normal force Fn in the engine center equals zero (fig 2a).
All these results with less wear of the piston and the cylinder. Such a
two-sided piston has considerably smaller mass compared to the prior art
assembly it replaces, consisting of two pistons with their prison-shafts
and two belonging rods, resulting in lessening of linear motion inertial
This construction has still more advantages as compared
to prior art engines such as:
- better controlled cooling of cylinders not being adjoined to each other
- smaller friction inside the engine due to less moving parts
- increasing the capacity of this engine, though considerably, results in
overall dimensions to increase only slightly
- gravity center is posted lower (it is in the engine center)
- better forces configuration in the very engine, while negative forces and
torques nullify each other completely (fig 2b)
- it is possible to dismount pistons and cylinders without entire
dismounting of the engine
- no special tools nor machines were used to produce this engine
- there is less noise due to the design of the two-sided piston
- though the cycle is of two-strokes, the lubrication is performed as if it
The objections on this construction should be as follows:
- due to the compressed construction , the starter should be mounted on the
gear box, but with some endeavour it is possible to mount it on the very
- the force on the output journal of the crankshaft (fig 2a) is twice
compared to the one at prior art engines, but this problem becomes
negligible with a proper design of the journal and of the operating shaft
- there is no oil sump at this engine, hence an additional oil-pump is
- since it is a two-stroke cycle engine, the engine cylinders are submited
to higher mechanical and thermical load comparing to four-strike cycle
Prototype 2 - characteristics (technical data):
• Two-stroke engine
• Engine-block measurments with heads mounted 500mm x 440mm x 440mm
• Engine two-sided piston diameter 100 mm
• Compressor two-sided piston diameter 120 mm
• Two-sided piston stroke 88 mm
• Capacity 7000 cm3
• Number of chambers 4(engine) + 4(compressor)
• Number of two-sided pistons 2(engine) + 2(compressor)
• Weight 135 kg
• Power, torque and specific consumption have not been measured as yet.
Russian Rotary Vane Engine
Rotary Vane Engine proposed to power Russian hybrid car 'ё мобиль'
Heavy diesel locomotive sound, at full throttle.
Mz 1405 gives full throttle when the train is on its way up the slope,with
Swedish timber in Norwegian forests.
The sound is strong. Watch, listen and enjoy.
Mz 1405 da todo gas Cuando el tren que sube la colina, con madera de Suecia
en los bosques de Noruega.
El sonido es fuerte. Lista de Observación y disfrutar.
Look at Life - Down In The Dumps 1965
An excellent "Look at life" video clip from The Rank Organisation dated
September 1965 looking at what's being done to clear the streets of dumped
cars, contains some very upsetting scenes!
Link to DVD advert.
5-Stroke Engine - Concept
Further information at www.5-stroke-engine.com
Mario Illien, expert on racing engines expresses his opinions regarding the
5-stroke concept (inventor: Gerhard Schmitz, Belgium). The video has been
released for publication by courtesy of NZZ.
► Mercedes-AMG Engine Factory
Mercedes-AMG Engine Factory - V8 engine
► If you love cars, you should subscribe now to YouCar's channel:
Go ahead, it's free!
All the Best.