Close look at 1910s 20hp Ford Model T, its ignition & light systems Price $850 FOB Detroit, MI
Close look 1910s 20hp Ford Model T, its ignition wheels and light systems.
Price $850, F.O.B., Detroit, Mich. (1908) - Sunnyvale CA centennial event
The early Model Ts actually did come in a variety of colors, but beginning
in 1914 and for the next eleven years, the Model T would be sold in only
one color: black. The main reason for this was the black enamel used dried
more quickly than other paints and therefore sped up production. Consumers
were not offered a choice of colors again until 1926, due in part to
It has never been proven that Henry Ford ever said, "You can paint it any
color...," but the phrase has survived for 3/4 of a century and does
indicate something about America's beloved Model T: its "steadfastness,"
its enduring and endearing "sameness." The first production Model T Ford
was assembled at the Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit on October 1, 1908.
Over the next 19 years, Ford would build 15,000,000 automobiles with the
Model "T" engine, the longest run of any single model apart from the
Volkswagen Beetle. From 1908-1927, the Model T would endure with little
change in its design. Henry Ford had succeeded in his quest to build a car
for the masses.
Ford Model T - 100 Years Later
Make sure you read all the statistics under the photo.
This has only been 102 years ago?Amazing!!
The year is 1910, over one hundred years ago. What a difference a century
Here are some U. S. statistics for the Year 1910:
The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only.
Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !
The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist
$2,500 per year,
a veterinarian Between $1,500 and $4,000 per year,
and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.
Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were
condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their
country for any reason.
The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
4. Heart disease
The American flag had 45 stars.
The population of Las Vegas , Nevada was only 30!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and only 6 percent of all
Americans had graduated from high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the
local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy
to the mind,
Regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of
Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or
There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !
TilTul http://tiltul.com LinksYouWantToRemember
CIMG0264 Red old Ford Sunnyvale CA centennial.MOV
1914 SAXON Runabout Roadster Model 14 (For Sale By Owner)
Offered for sale is this very rare Saxon Model 14 (not a type A-IV)
Runabout/Roadster. It has a 12.1 hp, 95.0 cu. in. L-head four-cylinder
engine, solid front axle with quarter-elliptic leaf springs, three-speed
rear transaxle with quarter-elliptic leaf springs, and two-wheel mechanical
brakes. The wheelbase is 96". This early Saxon has been preserved in very
presentable condition. The body, paint and top are all in very good
condition, and the brightwork in the carbide / acetylene lamps is still
correctly plated in nickel. The paint has some small scratches and some
small chips as it has been used in parades and driven occasionally. The
plastic window on the back of the convertible top has turned yellow and
there are some signs of light wear on the top.
The seat is upholstered in black vinyl, which is in very good condition
and nicely complements the wooden dashboard and black carpeted floor. The
engine is clean, well detailed and runs well, and the chassis, running gear
and tires are also very good. Car is equipped with a manual / hand operated
horn mounted on the driver's door. There are some cracks in some of the
sheet metal on the car as is expected of a vehicle that is nearly 100 years
old. More photos are available upon request. An attractive light car and a
very presentable older restoration, this Saxon is ideal for the collector
in search of rarity.
The acetylene generator tank is still intact, and also an auxiliary
Prest-O-Lite acetylene tank included, but not connected. Carburetor is a
Carter UT updraft and was recently rebuilt. Ignition box on dash is Atwater
Kent. Battery is brand new. A 6V electric starter has been added to the
car. Also included are the small side flags that are not pictured as well
as a working antique/period bottle jack, lug/cap wrench, priming funnel,
fire extinguisher and some other accessories. Please note that the vehicle
does not have an odometer or speedometer. Vehicle has clear title.
This vehicle is from the collection of Johnny Dillon (of Dillon Markets
that merged with Kroger), and has been garage kept for decades.
The car is garaged in zipcode 85629 and I can help coordinate shipment and
As a background, Hugh Chalmers was the man behind the Saxon. Although his
Chalmers car was selling well in the medium-price field, he saw an opening
for a small, light car priced in Ford territory. He opened the Saxon Motor
Company in Detroit in 1913 and introduced the Saxon at the cyclecar price
of $395. Far from being a cyclecar, however, the Saxon boasted a 96-inch
wheelbase, 12-hp water-cooled four-cylinder engine from Ferro (also
Continental). The first model to roll off the production line was the
pictured two-seat roadster which used a 4-cylinder engine built by
Continental that was mated to a 2-speed gearbox (an optional 3-speed
gearbox was also available). Headlights were also available as an option,
and electric lighting was fitted as standard equipment in 1915. In 1914 a
team of 4-cylinder Saxons was among the earliest cars to ever travel the
Lincoln Highway, covering the coast-to-coast distance of more than 3,500
miles in under 30 days averaging 35 miles per gallon!
To meet demand, a larger plant was obtained in 1915, the year Chalmers left
the company. A six-cylinder car was added in 1916. During the peak
production of 1915-1917, with 1916 being the strongest year, total
production hit 27,800 cars. The popularity of the Saxon elevated the
company to being the eighth largest automobile manufacturer in America at
the time, in large part due to fact the $395 runabout could outpace the
Model T Ford, especially on hills. Rapid expansion crippled the firm, and,
although it soldiered on into 1922, Saxon never really saw profitability
What is truly amazing is that of the 90,000 plus overall cars built, the
Saxon Registry is only aware of approximately 140 surviving examples.
1933 dietrich KB Lincoln V12
Please contact woodiesandwheels.com at (408)371-8030 with any questions.
448 CID L-Head V-12 Engine
Single Stromberg Two-Throat Downdraft Carburetor
150 BHP at 3,400 RPM
3-Speed Manual Gearbox with Freewheeling
4-Wheel Mechanical Drum Brakes
Live Rear Axle Suspension with Semi-Elliptical Springs and Shock Absorbers
Although Lincoln catalogued the KB Dietrich Convertible Sedan for the 1933
model year, only 15 of the splendid automobiles were created. Today, just
six are known to exist in any form.
The low survival rate of these graceful Lincolns is rather a pity, as they
were among the most exclusive automobiles of their day, bolstering the
long-standing traditions of a marque synonymous with refined elegance and
The Dietrich Convertible Sedan presented here, chassis KB2005, is the
earliest of the six surviving examples and the only one known that features
the beautiful early-style open fenders. Shortly after production commenced,
these attractive wings were replaced with more modern skirting.
Tracing back to its beginnings, this Lincoln was originally delivered to a
customer on Long Island, New York. Fortunately for the KB, it had the
benefit of being well-kept during a period when many Full Classics, even
the finest examples, were regarded as used cars and subjected to
In the 1950s, Jack Pope of Indianapolis acquired the KB and was known to
show and tour with it and, during his ownership, the Lincoln earned Senior
Classic status from the CCCA. Eventually, Mr. Pope had the coachwork
repainted and the interior reupholstered to a fair, albeit non-original,
In 1971, he sold the KB to Art Graver of San Francisco, California, who
enjoyed the car for a number of years. By the end of the decade, Mr. Graver
disassembled the Lincoln to begin a more comprehensive restoration. The
engine and top were sent to specialists, while the remainder of the car sat
in pieces in his garage. Unfortunately, Mr. Graver never had a chance to
complete the project and the car was still in this state when he passed
away in 1989.
In 1991, Lee Gurvey purchased the Lincoln, still disassembled, from Mr.
Graver's widow and entrusted the revival of this significant classic to the
noted Chicago restorer Fran Roxas. Subsequently, every aspect of the KB was
addressed in anticipation of competing at national- level concours events.
During the disassembly process, an undisturbed sample of the original
Dietrich Dark Green was discovered and used to match the new finish. The
top had been Ford Green canvas, which was luckily available in the
reproduction market. Although the original patterns for the upholstery did
not survive, one of the surviving sister cars still carried its original
interior and was used as a model for the restoration.
After a year of painstaking effort, the KB returned to the road looking as
splendid as the day it was delivered.
Over the next few years, the Lincoln embarked on a grand tour of American
concours events, collecting a number of notable honors along the way. The
magnificent classic received a perfect score at the Illinois Regional
Concours d'Elegance, an AACA Junior Award and President's Cup at the
Hershey Meet, a CCCA Premier Award at a Grand Classic and the General
Packard Award at Meadow Brook. Perhaps the most significant awards were
earned at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where the Dietrich-bodied
Lincoln bested the competition, achieving First in Class as well as the
coveted Most Elegant Award.
In 1997, after years of accumulating trophies, Otis Chandler purchased the
much-admired KB and kept it in his peerless collection of American classics
until his passing in 2006. During the period spent in his care, the Lincoln
was driven sparingly, thereby preserving its show-quality appearance. The
current owner has also been an attentive steward, having the car maintained
as needed and keeping it stored in climate- controlled conditions.
For the collector who appreciates the great luxury cars of the 1930s, there
is much to admire about this coachbuilt KB. With its tasteful appearance,
first-rate coachwork, impressive provenance and award-winning pedigree,
there is no doubt that it will continue to occupy a place of distinction in
the collection of its next caretaker.