A Splendid Triumph Spitfire Mk3 in Excellent Condition and Very Low Owners - SOLD!
SOLD - SIMILAR REQUIRED PLEASE CALL 01733 425140
A splendid 1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3 in excellent condition, well
maintained and very low owners.
Steel panelled coachwork, up-and-over bonnet, toughened safety glass
screen, folding soft hood, winding windows, driving mirrors, self-parking
twin electric wipers, twin windtone horns, chrome- plated bumpers, rubber
insert overriders, speedometer, tachometer, temperature gauge, fuel gauge,
three spoke steering wheel, overdrive, sun visors, tonneau cover.
The clean-sweep Michelotti design looks stunning in the original Valencia
Blue, (Code 66) and has a glorious deep, well polished shine. All the
chrome is bright and the stainless steel wing beadings are perfect. There
are three removable stickers boasting recent European race circuit visits.
The hood is a Black Mohair item and is as new. The optional tonneau cover
is still present. The bonnet has a small crease at the front and the
drivers sill a tiny out of sight dent. An additional chrome passenger door
mirror has been fitted and a matching driver mirror moved leaving two
discretely covered holes. The round boot tail edge has minor dulling and
micro blisters. All the scroll badges are intact. Structurally perfect
with no corrosion. A fabulous show piece.
Tremendous. The seats are finished in black vinyl with plain flutes and
white piping and are perfect with no scuffs or tears. The black moulded
carpets are tight and clean and the wood veneered instrument panel is
excellent. All the gauges and switches operate and a power socket and
hazard lights have been installed for safety. The original steering wheel
has luckily remained but is worn in places. The boot is not carpeted. A
really original tidy interior and simply delightful.
ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
This 4-cylinder 1296cc engine produces 75bhp at 6000rpm enough to propel
the car to 60mph in 12.5 Seconds and reach a top speed of 100mph.
Sympathetic modifications to improve reliability include electronic
ignition and a thermostatically controlled electric fan. Well maintained
with many new parts including upgraded alternator, new starter motor and
fuel tank. The 4-speed gearbox operates wonderfully with syncromesh on
2nd, 3rd and top. A new clutch has been fitted less than 500 miles ago.
WHEELS, TYRES & BRAKES
Optional wire wheels create the perfect appearance and are shod in brand
new Pirelli P3000 175/70 R13 tyres. The brakes are powerful having been
fitted with metal braided hoses and a new brake master cylinder.
Registered new on the 13 September 1968 and having only had four former
owners, the last a retired design engineer who lavished many hours
improving and maintaining his pride and joy. As an active member of the
local Triumph Spitfire Club Mr Watson thoroughly enjoyed organised outings
and attended all the foreign Race Circuit trips including Le Mans and Spa
Now ready for a new owner to simply drive, show and enjoy.
Triumph TR 250
The Triumph TR250 was built between 1967 and 1968 for 15 months by the
Triumph Motor Company in the United Kingdom, during which time 8,480
cars were built, all of which were for the American market. Many can now be
found outside the United States, primarily in Europe. Approximately 600
remain worldwide today.
The TR250 was mechanically similar to the follow-on TR5 except for the fuel
delivery system. The TR250 sported a new Independent Rear Suspension
system, retained in the TR5, but it did not have the TR5's fuel injection
system. Instead, the TR250 was fitted with twin Zenith-Stromberg
carburettors. The TR250's straight-six engine delivered 111 bhp (81 kW), 39
bhp less than the TR5.
The reasons for this difference came down to price pressures of the
American market, and tighter emissions regulations.
In 1968, the TR250 sold in North America for approximately $3,395, with
wire wheels being another $118, overdrive $175 and air conditioning another
The Triumph Motor Company was a British car and motor manufacturing
company. The Triumph marque (trade-name) is owned currently by BMW. The
marque had its origins in 1885 when Siegfried Bettmann (1863--1951) of
Nuremberg initiated S. Bettmann & Co and started importing bicycles from
Europe and selling them with his own trade-name in London. The trade-name
became "Triumph" the year next, and in 1887 Bettmann was joined by a
partner, Moritz (Maurice) Schulte, also from Germany. Beginning in 1889 the
businessmen started producing their own bicycles in Coventry, England.
In November 1944 what was left of the Triumph Motor Company and the Triumph
trade-name were bought by the Standard Motor Company and a subsidiary
"Triumph Motor Company (1945) Limited" was formed with production
transferred to Standard's factory at Canley, on the outskirts of Coventry.
The pre-war Triumph models were not revived and in 1946 a new range of
Triumphs was announced, starting with the Triumph Roadster. The Roadster
had an aluminium body because steel was in short supply and surplus
aluminium from aircraft production was plentiful.
In the early 1950s it was decided to use the Triumph name for sporting cars
and the Standard name for saloons and in 1953 the Triumph TR2 was
initiated, the first of a series that would be produced until 1981.
Internationaal Spitfire Weekend 2003-2007
Compilatie van de Spitfire weekenden georganiseerd door de Triumph
Spitfire Club in de jaren 2003, 2004, 2005 en 2007 in respectievelijk Asten
(Nrd. Brabant) en Echten (Drente).